Your God Will be My God

Celebrations of weddings and wedding anniversaries always bring to mind the Song of Ruth.  Some couples even make it part of their wedding vows.  Ruth's song is a poem about love, loyalty, and commitment.  It is a beautiful avowal of unity between two persons with God.

What makes the Song of Ruth very powerful is that it is part of a very amazing love story, as told in the Book of Ruth.  Ruth was a Moabite, a race apart from God's Chosen People, the Israelites.  She was an outsider that went on to become the great-grandmother of King David, from whose line will eventually come forth the Messiah.

This came about because of Ruth's unhesitating acceptance of her mother-in-law Naomi's culture, people, and God.  Her words about this acceptance went down in history as one of the most famous and beautiful vows that anyone can say to a loved one.

"Entreat me not to leave you, or to turn back from following you; For wherever you go, I will go; And wherever you lodge, I will lodge; Your people shall be my people, and your God, my God. Where you die, I will die, and there will I be buried. The LORD do so to me, and more also, if anything but death parts you and me." 

- Ruth 1:16–17


 

Copyright @ 2020 All rights reserved.